Last week you probably saw a devastating story in the news about a nine-year-old girl who called a charity and begged for work, so she could help her family who were struggling for food. Child poverty is a very real situation across the UK including in Leeds. We don’t think this is ok. Do you?
We need your help to enable us to bring light into the situations like this, by journeying with families on the margins.
In the next 6 weeks, we will be publishing “18 ways to give to Leeds children”. We have ideas for individuals, churches, corporates and groups of friends to give in all sorts of ways: money, time, prayers, conversations, expertise, baking and much more. It’s our birthday AND it’s Christmas… Can you join us and #bethedifference for the children of Leeds?
This week: MONEY!
A donation of £5 per month will transform the life chances of a child growing up in poverty in Leeds? That’s just over £1 a week.
At Kidz Klub Leeds we see the gritty reality of life on the margins every day when we visit families, build relationships with kids and work alongside communities facing poverty. Last week we were able to connect a family with virtually no furniture with Leeds and Moortown Furniture Store, giving them the ability to make their house a home. At the moment we are busy putting together hampers of food for struggling families this Christmas and today our workers are visiting families and providing hope, fun and light for children living in difficult and complex situations and communities.
The reality is our work doesn’t come for free. We know that money is an awkward topic but here we are with a BIG ask. After 18 years of sharing God’s love and supporting children growing up in poverty, we have spent a chunk of time reflecting on the incredible journey so far and restructuring so we can reach more families, build deeper relationships with children and transform more lives. Can you help us?
Let’s talk numbers… It will cost us an additional £60,000 per year to reach 1,000 children across the city and help transform their life chances, bring them the hope of Jesus and work alongside their families and communities.
£60,000 is only £5 per month, per child we help. We need 1,000 people to give £5 per month.
Here are a few other ideas for giving to us financially:
- Give us an 18th Birthday present of £18! You can donate online or send us a cheque.
- Collect your pennies and loose change and donate the amount online or bring in the cash donation to the Kidz Klub office. This is what some of the children who come to Kidz Klub have done for us and other charities in the past
- Donate via text. Simply text KIDZ17 £10 (or £5, £3, £2) to 70070
- If you are already donating, please consider increasing your monthly donation by £5 per month.
Here is a little more about the changes at Kidz Klub:
We’ve been working across the city for 18 years. We are firmly established as part of community life in the areas that we serve and have the privilege of being a part of. Our approach has been to support children at home, at school and in their community. We work alongside partners locally and across the city, and with churches to share God’s life changing love, in word and deed with over 1,000 children growing up in poverty in Leeds.
The need for our work is growing and as we have reflected on 18 years of practice we have developed a new shape and structure for what we do, not to consolidate but to get ready for more to come and to build on the opportunities we have.
The newly structured Kidz Klub will include: substantially growing our family support work and young leaders programme, a large scale central weekly event for up to 1000 children in time, new local Hub Klub’s in communities for all of the children (300 initially) and continued schools work and home visiting for all of the children who attend. Our approach in all of this remains working locally, as well as encouraging more people to relocate and live in the children’s communities.
What will these changes enable us to do:
- Children will have more support locally, including discipleship.,We invite kids to,new smaller discipleship Hub Klub spaces where the emphasis is upon them being the community changers. Support will be grown through stronger links with other local services and church families.
- We will be able to reach more children and families and support struggling families better.
- We will maintain and grow relationships and discipleship with children as they get older through the Hub Klub age appropriate sessions.
- Through scaling up our Young Leaders Program, many more young people who leave Kidz Klub in Yr7 will be able to return and stay with us through to adulthood and be equipped with skills for work.
- We will have the time and space to encourage children to be local change makers with social action mission events every 6 weeks.
- We will be able to diversify volunteering opportunities and recruit more volunteers. Through making it more flexible and easier for people to volunteer by joining us every/any week night, anytime from 3-8pm.
- We will have increased staffing capacity to support all of this to happen.